What would you do?

April 15, 2010 at 10:10 am 20 comments

33 weeks 3 days

 We (Mr. Duck, M and I) need opinions here, and because I don’t want to bias you, I will not give you our opinion, other then to say that M and I are on the same page.

 It’s about how the babies come into this world.

 Baby A is sitting pretty all ready and waiting to appear in the proper head down position, but Baby B (at 32 weeks half a pound heavier then Baby B) is sitting butt first (breech position).

 Here are the 2 options:

 Option 1: Planned C-section

 Option 2: Vaginal Birth for baby A, trying to turn Baby B, if he turns and is happy then he can follow is sister, if he is not happy or does not turn it’s an emergency C-section.

Note that M and I are on the same page about Baby B being born breach, we both feel that it is just too risky, given my personal family history of bilateral congenital hip dysplasia (dislocated hips) and the possibility of cord injury. Remember, we’ve been trying to have these children for over 5 years (and I’ve been diagnosed with being infertile 13 years ago) all that time, energy and not to mention 6 figures in cash means that we NEED to take 2 babies home, we love them, they are our children, and we need for them to be okay.

I won’t say anything more because I really really want your personal opinions, and you don’t have to be pregnant, you just have to be empathetic, what would you do if you were me (or M)?

(note all else is fab with the babies and M’s belly is now measuring 39 weeks the largest she has ever been for a pregnancy – but she still looks all cute just total belly!).

Advertisements

Entry filed under: third trimester. Tags: , .

Counting Down instead of counting up The eve of 34.

20 Comments Add your own

  • 1. Jill  |  April 15, 2010 at 10:41 am

    Hi-. I’ve been following your blog for a few months now because my husband and I just had twin boys via a surrogate in November. Anyways, I would always, always air on the side of caution when it came to the pregnancy. If I ever felt bad saying something about what she should do I reminded myself I would feel 100 times worse if I kept my mouth shut and something bad happened. Our babies were in the same position as yours and we did a planned c-section (which turned into an emergency C when he water broke). It was so nice to know that the babies would be out in seconds if something were to happen and made the time up to delivery so much less stressful.
    You are so right- you put so much blood, sweat and tears into this that you deserve 2 healthy babies and no “what ifs”. Is your GS willing to do a planned c-section? If so, I would go with that 100% – even if it means more out of pocket costs to you. Trust me- it’s worth it – having 2 healthy twins is going to blow your mind in the best possible way you can ever imagine 🙂

    Good luck!

    Reply
  • 2. Strongwoman  |  April 15, 2010 at 11:20 am

    I vote planned C-Section. No doubt about it. You have come too far to take even the slightest risk with the delivery. I was totally anti-intervention before infertility, but now I would not leave anything to chance.

    Reply
  • 3. MEG.  |  April 15, 2010 at 11:29 am

    I vote for planned C-Section as well. From what I’ve heard, EMERGENCY C-Sections are NOT good times. I think this would be the safest choice for the both the babies AND M.

    Reply
  • 4. Kim  |  April 15, 2010 at 11:38 am

    Having had an emergency c-section and been hacked, I would still go with babies safest route which would be planned c-section. I don’t think there would be another option in the UK for you.

    However each option always has it’s risks and you should go with what you all feel comfortable with. If they can be sure to turn your little guy without trauma then natural birth is best route for him and your surrogate. They will certainly not be able to guarantee this in advance.

    Reply
  • 5. Miss Tori  |  April 15, 2010 at 11:50 am

    If, by the time delivery comes around, Baby B hasn’t moved to a better position (and not sure if he can or not), then I’d do a C section. There is no sense in putting M though the stress of a vaginal delivery if she is just going to have a c-section anyway. And for Baby B, it would be less traumatic to birth him via c-section then moving him around and/or having cord issues.

    If the doctors and M are all on board, that’s what I’d do.

    Reply
  • 6. Sarah  |  April 15, 2010 at 12:54 pm

    If I were pregs with twins I would opt for the planned C. Gosh. That little boy better get his butt moving around. Hugs.

    Reply
  • 7. wannabemom  |  April 15, 2010 at 2:32 pm

    Or GS was in this position with her last set of twins and they opted to be ready for an external version after Baby A delivered. However, Baby B flipped on her/his own and followed the sibling out w/o any problems. I am not a fan of external versions as they work in only 30-50% of cases and they are painful. I also have some concerns about the safety of Baby B. That being said, our GS is not a fan of the c/s so we would probably have agreed to try the external version on the day of the induction, in the OR. I would not have agreed to an external version the week before in the Perinatologist’s or OB’s office.

    If your GS will agree to a c/s, I think that would be the safest route. If she won’t, the OB and the Peri will be on hand and will move to a c/s if the external version doesn’t work.

    Best of luck!

    Reply
  • 8. Rachael L  |  April 15, 2010 at 3:31 pm

    I have not had twins, but I would feel much safer with a planned c/s and if Baby B turns and they feel confident Baby B will stay in that position then maybe a vag delivery could be safer.

    Reply
  • 9. Allison  |  April 15, 2010 at 3:47 pm

    Having just empathy to go on, I would go planned C-section. Sounds safest and most controlled situation for everyone involved. Good thoughts that little guy will turn right around;)

    Reply
  • 10. My Reality  |  April 15, 2010 at 4:01 pm

    C-section. Hands down.

    A scheduled C would be easier on M than labour and an emergency C-section.

    It would give you an element of control over things, too.

    Reply
  • 11. Marilyn @ A Lot of Loves  |  April 15, 2010 at 4:42 pm

    I had two high-risk pregnancies. These pregnancies followed 6 years of infertility. By the time it came time for those babies to be born I was filled with desperation that they be OK. I know all parents want their babies to be okay but I was consumed with these thoughts to the point that I could barely sleep since I was so worried.

    I tried to have my first naturally and it did not work out well at all. In the end I had a c-section. For my second I was given the option of a planned c-section or trying naturally and risking another emergency c-section. I chose the planned c-section.

    I know there are risks to baby and surrogate mom with a c-section. I know how crap it is to recover from a c-section. I know how babies born by c-section tend to have some (usually minor) issues with nursing for the first few days after birth. Knowing all of this, if I was in your situation I would choose the planned c-section. I think overall there is less risk to Baby #2 and Baby#1 will be just fine either way.

    PS. Buy LOTS of thick pads for the surrogate Mom. After my c-sections I bled like I didn’t know it was possible. For weeks.

    Reply
  • 12. Denise  |  April 15, 2010 at 6:23 pm

    If it were me and breach extraction for baby B wasn’t an option, I would opt for the planned C-section. I was terrified of having to recover from both a vaginal birth and a C-section at the same time. Some docs won’t even attempt breach extractions.

    Our plan was to attempt vaginal (A was always head-down, but B was always changing position) and just do what we needed to do if things didn’t go well or one of the babies started to show signs of distress. After A came out, they tried to do an external version (which, by the way was the most painful part of the birth) which sort of worked. B ended up “pike breach” meaning butt up, head AND feet down. They were trying to grab a shoulder and get his head to come out, but it didn’t work and they were very close to doing a C-section for B.

    They required me to have an epidural so that if they had to do an emergency C-section they wouldn’t have to knock me out. And we delivered in the operating room, so I don’t think the C-section would have been as traumatic for me as far as it being an emergency because we were prepared for it. But then Baby B’s foot popped out on its own and that sealed his fate as a breach baby. We were lucky he had no damage to his hips (confirmed by ultrasound), but they did break his arm pulling him out, which healed very quickly.

    Thinking through it now, I think if I were you, I would do a planned C-section no matter what if you want to avoid a breach birth for Baby B at all costs. Even if Baby B is in perfect position through the entire labor, he could easily turn when Baby A comes out (all that room all of the sudden!). So, if it is important to avoid breach birth and if M really doesn’t want to recover from both vaginal and C-section, I would opt for planned C-section.

    Reply
  • 13. Cyn  |  April 15, 2010 at 8:09 pm

    As a surro I would say whatever YOU as the parent want is what I would do. If you are not comfortable with trying vaginally, there is NO way I would consider it!

    My first twin pregnancy was the same situation and we planned all along to go vaginally. My dr felt the odds were pretty good that B would flip once A was out. HOWEVER, my IM was on board with that plan. If she had ANY doubts about the plan, we would’ve opted for a C. As it happens, A flipped breach as well at 34 weeks and didn’t budge again, so we ended up with a C anyhow.

    Now if the issue is that you and hubby don’t agree, you’ve got a bigger problem. Hearing your reasons for wanting the C, I’m fairly convinced. Does he have justifiable reasons for the other option? Sounds like a pro-con list is needed. IF, it happens to be other people putting their noses in, well then you already have your answer.

    The C wasn’t really ‘horrible’ per say. It was mostly not being 100% prepared for it. I would have M get as much ‘advice’ from others that have had C’s and follow it. (walk, meds, walk!)

    Reply
  • 14. JellyBelly  |  April 15, 2010 at 8:10 pm

    Planned C-section all the way — I was born via planned C-section and I turned out (mostly!) okay!

    I can’t believe that the babies are almost here!

    Reply
  • 15. annacyclopedia  |  April 15, 2010 at 11:53 pm

    As much as I am not a fan of C births in general, being that they are overused and risky for both women and babies, in many cases, like yours, they are wonderful and I’m so glad they exist. I’ll add that I know women who ended up with emergency C births that were much more emotionally traumatic than planned C births- so that is another thing to consider. If both babies are head down, that’s one thing, but for your GS to prepare physically and emotionally for a vaginal birth and then suddenly switch plans halfway through seems like way too much to ask of anyone. You’re right – it is very, very important that your babies arrive safely. And if you know that they will be born via C birth, you can also be fully informed and prepared for the issues that might arise around BFing, etc.

    Reply
  • 16. FET Accompli  |  April 16, 2010 at 12:00 am

    My experience was similar to a lot of the other bloggers above. Baby A (in position to come out first) was head first, but Baby B was breach. Our doctor thought it would be fine for our GS to have a a vaginal birth, that as long as the first baby in line to come out was head first, that was what mattered and the second baby could be flipped during the delivery.

    As IPs, we were very concerned, particularly because this would be a VBAC for our GS. Apparently some doctors would never do a VBAC for twins at all, but our doctor, a “leader” in his field who could be controversial at times, thought otherwise. And our GS really, really wanted a vaginal birth.

    As IPs, the whole situation made really, really nervous. We wanted a c-section – it’s safest for the babies. My hubbie however did note that this would mean major surgery for our GS, so he felt bad, although a cesarian was still our preference (my very strong preference).

    In the end, after 24 hours of labour not progressing, a c-section was required.

    Some other things to consider: If it were a vaginal birth, I would have been able to be present in the room. But only one person was allowed in the room for the c-section, and our GS understandably wanted her hubbie there. There is definitely something to be said for the beauty of seeing your children born. But. The most important thing is that they be safe and healthy. So on balance — C-section hands down.

    Reply
  • 17. WindDrop  |  April 16, 2010 at 9:26 am

    Since a C-section would be required anyways, I would think M would want to just have both born that way. Unless, of course she REALLY wan’ts to do vaginal birthing.
    I think even as a woman who has never been pregnant and trying really had to be, I would just do both babies C-section. The most important part of this journey is health babieS. If I couldn’t guarantee that all of the labor would deliver me my children, then it’s not worth the risk.
    I’m very glad that all 3 of you are on the same page.

    Reply
  • 18. Amanda  |  April 16, 2010 at 7:13 pm

    I guess I am the odd ball in this scenerio.

    I personally am not a fan of c-sections, and believe in the human body and it’s ability to deliver without interventions, even in the case of multiples (well twins, not so much triplets).

    Our situation was exactly that, Baby A was head down, Baby B was breech. Often times twins are…and we had a vaginal birth and I delivered the second baby breech and all was okay.

    It was done in the operating room just in case of emergencies, and I would have had a c-section if it was necessary but not just as a percaution.

    Things can go wrong in anything…even a vaginal singleton pregnancy, and well, it makes me wonder if just all women should have c-sections and not even attempt vaginal deliveries because of the fear of something going wrong.

    As I said, I believe the body does what it’s suppose to in most cases. And often times the baby does flip during delivery when there is more room.

    For me the 2nd twin was born 1 footling breech, which means one of his feet were out, so the doctor grabbed the
    foot, shoved it back up there, grabbed both feet and within 1 push the little guy was out.

    There are also risks to c-sections also, when it comes to the baby. Respitory distress is one because the fluid isn’t ‘push’ out as it comes down the birth canal….

    I myself would not want to be cut open…I would if I HAD to, if it was necessary, if the baby was in distress, but I wouldn’t just as a percaution…if you know what I mean.

    What’s most important in this case however, is not my opinion, or the opinion of others, but what you and M are comfortable with. If she’s okay with it, than go for it…it’s your delivery, your babies, her body, you guys are the only ones that can make such a big decision.

    Reply
  • 19. Sunny  |  April 17, 2010 at 12:06 am

    I labored for 24 hours with my singleton, pushed for 3 hours, and ended up with a C-section anyway. I would hate for M to go through that, delivering A vag and then needing surgery for B.

    I did the planned C-section with the twins and it was fabulous.

    Good luck with your decision!

    Reply
  • 20. Christina  |  April 17, 2010 at 1:37 pm

    i didnt want to comment, cause i dont want to seem biased….i agree with everyone here, but that being said. i carried my last baby breech until seriously. like during delivery, she suddenly moved and was born head first. there are risks with anything ! i agree that i would not ever consider a “planned c section” unless the babies were in distress. having been through surgery and a vaginal birth, i would much rather not have surgery. but i also agree that its a completely personal choice and if your surrogate is comfortable having a c section, then by all means go for it. there are advantages to that too, like you know the day your babies will be born for sure!!! good luck and im excited that you guys are making it soooo long with a twin pregnancy !!! congratulations mommy and i cant wait to hear when they are here !!!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


Blog Stats

  • 32,570 hits

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 10 other followers

wordpress
visitor

Recent Posts


%d bloggers like this: